Re: partman-auto: swap on an LVM logical volume?

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 04:35:53PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:07, David Härdeman wrote:
> > I'm guessing you meant this thread:
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/10/msg01082.html
>
> Yes, that's the one (though I thought it was more recent; time flies...).
>
> > > One major reason seems to be to allow resume swap after
> > > suspend-to-disk.
> >
> > Using initramfs-tools, I resume from a swap-on-lvm partition daily.
>
> After a default installation or after tweaking things?
>
> Problem is that we cannot only consider the i386/grub/initramfs-tools
> case. Other arches/bootloaders/initrd generators have to be considered
> too. Although of course creating swap within LVM can be activated on a
> per-arch basis by only modifying the relevant recipes.

Swap on LVM should be no problem, the important point is where the /boot
partition lies. Once the bootloader was able to load the kernel+ramdisk, and
this ramdisk/kernel combination supports LVM, there should be no major problem
with regard to this which would be arch-dependent.

For info, i have done swap-on-lvm on powerpc/pegasos, altough i kept the /boot
outside of LVM to be able to boot the kernel/ramdisk from it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther