Re: partman-auto: swap on an LVM logical volume?

On Thursday 15 June 2006 16:07, David Härdeman wrote:
> I'm guessing you meant this thread:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/10/msg01082.html

Yes, that's the one (though I thought it was more recent; time flies...).

> > One major reason seems to be to allow resume swap after
> > suspend-to-disk.
>
> Using initramfs-tools, I resume from a swap-on-lvm partition daily.

After a default installation or after tweaking things?

Problem is that we cannot only consider the i386/grub/initramfs-tools
case. Other arches/bootloaders/initrd generators have to be considered
too. Although of course creating swap within LVM can be activated on a
per-arch basis by only modifying the relevant recipes.

> The reasons I could find in the above mentioned thread were:
>
> suspend:  not a problem
>
> lowmem:   if you're not able to have swap on lvm due to lowmem,
>           are you really able to have root on lvm?
>
> overhead: do we have any proof at all for this claim?
>           harddrive transfer rates should be the bottleneck, not the
>           (theoretical) lvm overhead.

Bastian seems to agree with you on the last one.

I would suggest discussing this somewhere (d-devel maybe?) and see what
arguments are brought forward.