Recent changes to partman-lvm debconf templates: need clarification

Template: partman-lvm/text/in_use
Type: text
# What is "in use" is a partition

WHAT is "in use"?

From what I also found as new templates in partman-base, I guess this
is a partition...but I wonder whether this could also be a device.

If it can be both, then I'm afraid that we need to use TWO different
texts because gender of the two words can be different. For instance
in French:

If what's in use is a Device (masculine), then we must have:
"Utilisé par le groupe de volumes LVM ${VG}"

If what's in use is a Partition (feminine), then
"Utilisée par le groupe de volumes LVM ${VG}"

PS: simultaneous changes to partman-base would have needed a small
review. The short description does not fit our current writing style
guidelines (we don't make sentences in short descriptions for note and
error templates).