Re: glibc udebs

Joey Hess a écrit :
Aurelien Jarno wrote:

I manage to build smaller udebs for the glibc. I built it with -Os, and disabled support for 2.4 kernels. On i386, the gain is 124kB on the udebs size and 260kB on the installed size.

Currently it is built in a dirty way by doing that on the main library. If it is working and useful for d-i, I will change the build system and add another pass.

The build test does not show more errors, contrary to what was reported in the bug report, probably because these udeb are using linuxthreads and not nptl.

The i386 udebs are available on

http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/glibc-udeb/

If you need them for other architectures, please ask me.

That seems to be a 404, so I can't check, but I think we'll also need a
-small-pic deb package for this to be useful for d-i, since that would
allow creating smaller 2.6 floppy images with the reduced size udeb. I
think Sylvian Ferriol will be interested in doing that, 124kb saved
might mean he can add support for usb floppies or something like that.
for 2.6 boot floppy, it is not useful. Without glibc and using only klibc, i still can not add usb modules.

i will check for 2.6 root floppy, may be i can bring back nic-modules from net floppy to root floppy as set in 2.4 floppies