Re: Having Difficulties

Hi Steven,

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 03:16:40PM +0100, steven willis wrote:
> hey guys not sure if i am talking to the right people but you might be
> able to help me.

Debian-Installers responsibility stops after intial boot IIRC. Maybe you
should ask on debian-user.

> just got hold of debian linux 3.1r2 Sarge been checking it out and looks
> good only problem is once i have installed it and go to reboot for the
> first time it crashes with a kernel error for the audio module, my
> understanding of this problem is that there's no driver for my system
> but im unable to by pass the error What am i doing wrong?

If it's really the audio module than it should be very easy to solve
this problem. It's unlikely that you box crashes because it finds no
audio module, maybe it selects just the wrong one.

I assume you login to a graphical session such as KDE or GNOME which
uses sound and you see the crash immediately after login, right?

You could login to the text console (press Ctrl+Shift+F1). Now I suggest
you first try to update the kernel or the ALSA sound modules using
aptitude (search using "/alsa"). If it still fails after this you could
switch to an older 2.4 kernel or just remove the suspected sound
module manually. Just move /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/sound/ to
somewhere else, e.g. your home directory so that no sound at all is
found.

Hope this helps,
Jens