Re: dhcp3-client and D-I

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:43:01PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Andrew Pollock wrote:
> > Okay. I've had a preliminary play with ipconfig over the weekend. Seems
> > relatively straightforward to slot it into netcfg's dhcp.c. What I need to
> > understand is the necessity to set a vendor-class-identifier attribute in
> > with the request, is this a nicety or a need-to-have? ipconfig won't do it.
>
> It enables useful abilities like setting the appropriate default mirror
> for all installs to a network. It's a new feature since sarge, so not
> something a lot of people are using yet but very potentially powerful
> and useful for larger networks.

Yes, I read a related bug report when I was searching for this thread in my
email, looks good.

> Anyway, "good" news: The recent busybox change that dropped modutils
> makes the i386 root floppy too large, triggering a lot of reorganisation
> (and degraded functionality), after which we have enough free space on
> there for the dhcp 3 client, so turn it back on and we can look at
> including it.

Done. Next upload, hopefully by the weekend at the latest, will include
dhcp3-client-udeb again.

> Looks like netcfg already supports sending the vendor-class-identifier
> with dhcp3. Are there any changes to the dhclient-script interface that
> we will need to look out for?

I don't think so. I think we need to do some merging between what's floating
around in d-i and what goes in the dhcp3-client-udeb, as I think either
a dhclient.conf or dhclient-script is also shipping somewhere else, unless
you'd rather do it this way.

regards

Andrew