Re: x86, linux26 not detecting RAID controller (but 2.4 kernel does)

On Friday 17 March 2006 20:10, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure how to check that. After booting with the
> 2.4 kernel, the output from lsmod doesn't seem to mention anything
> related to RAID/SCSI.
>
> How can I tell which driver it's using?

Google tells me you probably need the megaraid driver. I know there's been
a lot of changes in megaraid in recent 2.6 kernels, so it may very well
be that 2.6.8 just does not support your controller at all.

In that case and if you really want to stick to Sarge, one option may be
the _unofficial_ installation CD prepared by Kenshi Muto [1] that
installs Sarge with backports for 2.6.15 kernel, udev and initramfs
generators.

> How, in general, are we supposed to know the name of the driver
> we want to load given the chipset name? Is there a utility that
> can ask a driver which hardware it supports? Is there some central
> search utility which we tell it our chipset and it directs us to
> the driver we're looking for?

Well, if we have the lspci and lspci -n info we can look at what the
kernel thinks it should use for that device id...

[1] http://kmuto.jp/b.cgi/debian/d-i-2615.htm