Re: x86, linux26 not detecting RAID controller (but 2.4 kernel does)

--- Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> On Friday 17 March 2006 20:10, John M. Gabriele wrote:
> > Well, I'm not sure how to check that. After booting with the
> > 2.4 kernel, the output from lsmod doesn't seem to mention anything
> > related to RAID/SCSI.
> >
> > How can I tell which driver it's using?
>
> Google tells me you probably need the megaraid driver. I know there's been
> a lot of changes in megaraid in recent 2.6 kernels, so it may very well
> be that 2.6.8 just does not support your controller at all.

Ok, booting 2.4 and looking in /var/log/syslog, I see that
hw-detect is using megaraid2 (both megaraid.o and megaraid2.o
are present in /lib/modules/2.4.27-2-386/kernel/drivers/scsi.

(Hm. I guess the "scsi" driver also handles the RAID chipset.)

> In that case and if you really want to stick to Sarge, one option may be
> the _unofficial_ installation CD prepared by Kenshi Muto [1] that
> installs Sarge with backports for 2.6.15 kernel, udev and initramfs
> generators.

Thanks. I'm going to try just installing 2.4, then afterwards
apt-get upgrade to a 2.6 kernel for my specific hardware (I'll
need an SMP kernel anyway.)

---John