Re: [g-i] freefont vs. dejavu

On 3/17/06, Davide Viti <zinosat@tiscali.it> wrote:
> > Kazakh po file (kk.po), uses the following:
> >
> >  <U2013> - EN dash (37 times)
> >  <U2014> - EM dash (once)
> >
> > the same way as the normal "-" (002D HYPHEN-MINUS)
>
> Given the way it is used (no consistency at all) I'd
> change those into normal hyphens. kk is not the only
> language using various flavours of the hyphen: I think also
> Vietnamese uses it.

Please do not fiddle in fields you don't understand. Some languages
have such things as "non-breaking hyphen" _and_ "splitting hyphen"
(sorry for the translation, but I can't find a better equivalent).
They have diferent meaning and changing them could result in a wrongly
redered text. As a side note, this is true for Romanain, but there no
agreement on which unidcode points should be used.

> > Macedonian and Ukrainian use the following to quote text:
> >
> > <U201c> - Left double quotation mark
> > <U201e> - double low-9 quotation mark
>
> mk never uses normal quote char (<U0022>), only minor problem
> is:
>
> 94  <U201c>  """
> 93  <U201e>  "„"

I think they know better what their quoting signs are than us :-)

> I've fixed the following so the number of open / close quotes should be right:

Are you sure you "fixed" them? Maybe you shouldn't be this hasty in
clasifing thngs wrong or right. Please ask the translators.

> One last thing:
> bot "es" and "gl" use "¿" (<U00bf>) at the beginning of every question:
> is it normal / right ?

Yes

--
Regards,