Installing Debian on an X40 via a USB key

I've followed instructions on:

http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch04s04.html

And I've got a Boot Failed message after trying to boot the USB stick
from the F12 menu on the Thinkpad.

At the bottom of the page, it warns about a possible "invalid master
boot record (MBR)". So after `install-mbr /dev/sda`, I get a different
message. MBR 123FA. I can change those trailing values by randomly
pressing some keys if that means anything.

I've tried the:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

and the sarge:
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/hd-media/boot.img.gz

Both resulted in "Boot Failed".

Also I've seemed to have b0rked the USB key after the zcat. cfdisk
reports:
FATAL ERROR: Bad primary partition 0: Partition begins after end-of-disk

And here is some stuff from dmesg:

usb-storage: device found at 12
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: LG        Model: XTICK             Rev: 2.00
ready
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
 sda:<3>ldm_parse_privhead(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD structure. LDM database is corrupt. Aborting.
ldm_validate_privheads(): Cannot find PRIVHEAD 1.
 unable to read partition table
sd 10:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sda
usb-storage: device scan complete

Any clues appreciated! Best wishes,