Re: Installing Debian on an X40 via a USB key

On 2006-03-03T23:33+0900 Kai Hendry wrote:
> And I've got a Boot Failed message after trying to boot the USB stick
> from the F12 menu on the Thinkpad.

Actually the error message was "Boot error".

I did try the same USB key in another machine, a Thinkpad T30 and it
works! So that is a little upsetting that it doesn't work in a brand new
X40.

This morning I recalled I have an old laptop drive in an USB enclosure I
could try boot from. I tried it on the X40 and it didn't work initially
as it didn't have mains power. Once the laptop had mains power it booted
the USB drive. So quite fickle.

I think I will copy debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso to the USB hard
drive with the help of my T30 and try figure out how to get grub to boot
it.

Another thing that is not obvious on the debian-installer page, is if it
can resize the existing fat partitions on the X40's hard drive. I know
Ubuntu can. But can Debian's? I'll have to find out.

I'm also not sure what I should do with the "rescue" partition. Probably
nuke it.

Oh, about the `install-mbr` advice at the bottom of:
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/i386/ch04s04.html

It seems to nuke a working USB key's boot image. I think that should be
mentioned in the manual. I am unconvinced it does anything helpful.