Re: Netinst can no longer be used without network access

Hi,

Christian Perrier bubulle-at-debian.org |volatile-lists| wrote:
Well, another side advantage of the netinst CD was allowing quick tests of installability *without* network connection.

We use the netinst image as a basis for customization, and we create an installation CD that installs a debian base system + our own set of packages = a complete system (in our eyes! :D). For customization, there is 650 - 150 = 500 MB for our custom packages on that single CD. It is *very* handy!

On all the debian systems I've set up for other purposes (not using the customized CD above), I didn't use tasksel anyway. I set up the tinyest debian system possible with netinst, and then apt-get install for the rest...

I think it is so wonderfully handy that using the netinst CD alone can give you a working base debian system. It is the only way I've ever installed debian.

Joey has always maintained that a netinst install (only base
system) is not a viable system. It does lack, for example, an MTA.

After a beta1 install, I end up with exim installed. Isn't that an MTA?
(Presumably MTA = Mail Transfer Agent). I did get asked about "Local delivery only" etc. (Anyway, the first thing I did after an install was apt-get install postfix anyway :D).

This would be an interesting and quite costless option, yes. Add this
to beta3/rc1 release goals?

*Please*, yes!

Peter

--