Re: Netinst can no longer be used without network access

(This also, at least partially, answers the mail from Peter Valdemar Mørch
about the same subject; CC'ing as I'm not sure he's subscribed.)

On Monday 20 February 2006 07:47, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Well, this is a known "issue" and something we probably won't fix for
> beta2, but I fond this rather a regression...enough to be mentioned.
>
> I don't remember the exact reason but, right now, choose-mirror is
> called during a netinst CD run and therefore fails when no mirror is
> available.

The reason is that the netinst does not contain the packages needed to
install tasks and thus we need a network connection in 1st stage.

I agree that this rather defeats the concept of the original netinst image
and we should think about this. Joey has always maintained that a netinst
install (only base system) is not a viable system. It does lack, for
example, an MTA.

One option would be to drop the current netinst image and rename the
businesscard image to netinst. This would mean we'd lose advantage of the
netinst: a stable and consistent base system.

We'd have left:
- Full CD: self contained, no network needed till after reboot. Peter's
  mail seems to suggest that this is currently not the case and IMO we
  should correct that.
- Business card CD: udebs on CD; base system and tasksel from net
- netboot/mini iso: only initrd on CD; additional udebs from net
- hd-media: depends on CD image used; currently requires network though
  even when full CD is used

> In the past, the mirror question was not asked at this setp and was
> delayed until apt-setup is run in 2nd stage. Couldn't this be
> restored?

I guess we could add an option to skip mirror selection (and thus also
apt-setup and pkgsel). It does however mean that they will need to set up
their sources.list and complete the installation manually after reboot. I
guess the "standard" task in tasksel is still usable after reboot?

Peter:
It is always possible to skip a step by installing at medium priority
(boot with 'install debconf/priority=medium'), unless a later
installation step depends on the skipped step.
To be honest though, it seems to me like you should be using a full CD in
your situtation rather than a netinst.

Cheers,
FJP