Re: Debian-installer announcing itself during DHCP

Geert Stappers wrote:
> >     if substring (option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 14) = "NetcfgDHClient" {
> >       filename "proto://host.tld/path/to/preseed.cfg"; }
> >     else { filename "network/boot/image"; }
>
> Having 'if-then-else' in the dhcpd.conf is needed for booting from network.

Yes, but there's no reason that people booting from the network are the
only ones who might want to use dhcp preseeding.

> Again
> > The emitted string is "NetcfgDHClient"   ( don't "d-i" )
> in current netcfg-udeb.
>
> With which string go _we_ into production a.k.a. next release

It's too late to change anything for beta2.

> and with which string go the deveriate distributions into production???
>
> How vendor neutral is "d-i" as identification string?

The whole point of this is that it's specific to debian and derived
distributions, so vendor-neutrality is not useful.

> NetcfgDHClient is most of all UNIQUE !

Calling a program "netcfg" is hardly unique to Debian. For example, see
the first google hit on netcfg, it's not our netcfg. Neither is the
second, or the third ...

--
see shy jo