Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

> <...> before i go, i was looking into the Arabic folder and frankly i prefer those fonts to the nazli ;)
> <...> specially the bold one is perfect for Persian
> <...> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/ttf-nazli-060121/arabic/ this folder i mean
>
> If I'm lucky, I'll talk with him later on tonight; if I'm not wrong
> both screenshot folders were taken using nazli.

I had another conversation with the guy; I asked him to tell me a
screenshot with the missing aleph in [1]:

<...> well it seems in the snapshots there the letters: k, g, and y (ending) have problems and aleph seems to be all right
<...> when y, comes at the end and it could stick to the previous letter or not depending on which letter precedes it

in the meanwhile, on another IRC channel:
<___>	zinosat: the screenshots seem correct
<zinosat> "these have spelling problems (missing letters)" I was told this
<zinosat> "(k is one of them), there are Ks, Y at the end "
<___>	i checked only alif, which seemed fine

this seems to throw away all the research done so far on this subject.
I also tried to reproduce some of the screenshots on Alioth ([2] in
particular) with no success. I think those screenshots, without readme
or a file specifying which iso are taken from, are completely useless
/ confusing and I can only _guess_ on the way they were taken (which
does not help as time goes on).

My feeling is that we're wasting alot of time (at least of my own
time) since we're at the very same point we were before the g-i
meeting.
Attilio (very kindly) will work on the tool for experimenting with
fonts and don't think I'll put any other effort on this Arabic /
Persian issue until it's ready.

Here follows the way __I__ will test fonts-related problems (take it
as a sort of "resolution" based on the experience of the last weeks):

* use "official" images as much as possible (i.e. based on 2.0.9):
even if the libs are outdated and there are known issues, everybody
can easily rebuild such images and reproduce the problems and, after
all, they're official.

* use non-official images (2.8.x / X) only when the problem has been
identified and I want to know if it's been fixed in more recent
versions: rebuilding images based on such libs is still a bit of a
pain (and much of a hack) and the libs are evolving.

* before facing problems about overlapping ranges I'll make sure the
font file alone does work. If anyone is interested in digging the way
"nazli.ttf" works inside g-i I created an image [3] which contains
_only_ nazli.ttf (no freefont or whatever).

It's been really frustrating wasting the all evening and working on
languages I can't even read does not help either.

I really hope we can fix this and move on to the other languages not
supported by g-i yet (Indic scripts).

Davide

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/ttf-nazli-060121/
[2] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/font-snapshots/ttf-nazli-060121/arabic/console-keymaps-at_keymap_0.png