Re: [g-i] Arabic / Persian fonts

Hi Mike,

> Are we trying to remove overlapping unicode ranges ?

No, the problem is that we have not found yet a font file working well
with Persian (and possibly with Arabic too)

> Are there pango bugs outstanding agianst arabic and pharsi ?

Maybe, the missing "aleph" glyph could be a bug?
we need to investigate more

> Do you see the problems on the desktop with the x11 gdk ?

If we think the missing (or half displayed to be more precise) glyph
is a bug it could be a very good idea to test it the way you suggest:
Attilio, could you help creating a minimal application displaying
Farsi text?

svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk/packages/po/fa.po

contains the entire po file for level1; or you might pick some random
strings here:

http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/spellcheck/level1/latest/nozip/fa_all.txt

I created some iso images to help investigating the problem:
all the images are based on the current "official" image [1] (thus
using 2.0.9 libraries rather than 2.8.10) and contain only one font
file at the same time to make sure we can isolate the problem (unicode
range overlapping _could_ be a problem even if we can use Fran's
script).

* the "official" iso [1] contains "ae_AlMohanad.ttf" (from "ttf-arabeyes-udeb (1.1-4)")

* [2] contains only "nazli.ttf" (from "ttf-farsiweb (0.4-2)")

* [3] contains only "ae_tholoth.ttf"  (from "ttf-arabeyes-udeb (1.1-4)")

* [4] Contains the fonts taken from the "Free Persian Font" project [5]

Looking at the "ttf-farsiweb" and "ttf-arabeyes-udeb" source packages
I noticed there are a lot of fonts file:

"ttf-farsiweb"
--------------
ae_AlArabiya.ttf
ae_AlBattar.ttf
ae_AlHor.ttf
ae_AlManzomah.ttf
ae_AlMateen.ttf
ae_AlMohanad.ttf
ae_AlMothnna_bold.ttf
ae_AlYermook.ttf
ae_Arab.ttf
ae_Cortoba.ttf
ae_Dimnah.ttf
ae_Electron.ttf
ae_Furat.ttf
ae_Granada.ttf
ae_Graph.ttf
ae_Hani.ttf
ae_Haramain.ttf
ae_Hor.ttf
ae_Japan.ttf
ae_Jet.ttf
ae_Kayrawan.ttf
ae_Khalid.ttf
ae_Mashq_bold.ttf
ae_Mashq.ttf
ae_Metal.ttf
ae_Nada.ttf
ae_Nagham.ttf
ae_Nice.ttf
ae_Ostorah.ttf
ae_Ouhod.ttf
ae_Petra.ttf
ae_Rasheeq_bold.ttf
ae_Rehan.ttf
ae_Salem.ttf
ae_Shado.ttf
ae_Sharjah.ttf
ae_Sindibad.ttf
ae_Tarablus.ttf
ae_Tholoth.ttf

ttf-farsiweb
------------
homa.ttf
nazlib.ttf
nazli.ttf
titr.ttf

Any of this would be worth giving a go?
I'd be happy to create an iso with a particular font file if you had
any to suggest

Ciao
Davide

[1] http://people.debian.org/~fjp/d-i/gtk-miniiso/daily/i386/mini.iso