Re: Kernel 2.4 for etch or not

Hi!

* Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> [060130 01:54]:

> On Sunday 29 January 2006 00:30, Holger Levsen [1] wrote:
>>    - Some hardware is only supported with 2.4, for example older laptops
>>      which need APM and don't work with ACPI. Also some non-i386 machines.

Are there any cases, where you can't boot the machine, access harddisc
and net only with a 2.4 kernel and not with 2.6?

As far as I understood it's just support for apm and similar things,
which aren't needed to install the system, aren't they?

> The only downside for D-I is that we will have to maintain devfs support.
> This is not a real problem but prevents code cleanups and streamlining
> D-I towards udev.
>
> I guess D-I will follow whatever decision is taken regarding 2.4 support
> for Etch. I agree that having it available ASAP is a good idea. I doubt
> that we will want to support 2.4 for the graphical version of the
> installer.

Wouldn't it then be possible then to drop D-I support for 2.4 and ask
user to install the old kernel, if needed after the installation?  At
least if supporting 2.4 for D-I is getting to complicate...

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--
http://learn.to/quote/