Re: Kernel 2.4 for etch or not

On Sunday 29 January 2006 00:30, Holger Levsen [1] wrote:
>     - it's not sensible to have powerpc and amd64 flavors, and probably
>       others. So this kernel package will not be arch any. (Which is not
>       really a problem, but unusual.)

Probably hppa, ia64 and also alpha won't need 2.4 for Etch. 2.4 could
probably also be dropped for sparc64; the future of sparc32 is uncertain.

>     - if 2.4.32 or .33 shall be used in d-i/g-i, work on this
>       integration needs to be started real soon now.

As there is little difference between current 2.4.27 and 2.4.32, I don't
see many problems in maintaining support for it in D-I. Updating to a new
version should require only minor changes.

The only downside for D-I is that we will have to maintain devfs support.
This is not a real problem but prevents code cleanups and streamlining
D-I towards udev.

I guess D-I will follow whatever decision is taken regarding 2.4 support
for Etch. I agree that having it available ASAP is a good idea. I doubt
that we will want to support 2.4 for the graphical version of the
installer.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2006/01/msg00742.html