Re: reiser4progs-udeb mkreiser4-udeb

On Monday 30 January 2006 01:37, ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:
> Not sure how else to confirm mkreiser4-udeb is not among the loaded
> udebs

I see both mkreiser4-udeb and reiser4progs-udeb udebs are listed
in /var/cache/anna/Packages.default (i386 netinst install).
My guess is that it is not supported because there are no reiser4 kernel
module udebs and therefore there is no reason to support it in partman.

The status file will tell you what udebs are available and what their
status is.

For reiserfs:
/var/lib/dpkg/status tells me (after additional installer components have
been loaded):
# grep "Package.*reiser" /var/lib/dpkg/status
Package: mkreiserfs-udeb
Package: partman-reiserfs
Package: reiserfs-modules-2.6.15-1-486-di

The important one is partman-reiserfs, which is priority standard. That
takes care of pulling in the other needed udebs.

The only really strange thing I see for i386 is that partman-reiserfs
depends on reiserfsprogs-udeb, but that does not seem to be available.
I'm mystified why that dependency is ignored.
Hmmm. /var/log/syslog says:
   resolver (reiserfsprogs-udeb): package doesn't exist (ignored)
Can be explained as it is not listed in /var/cache/anna/Packages.default,
and that seems to be because it is excluded in debian-cd...

Joey:
Should we maybe exclude the reiser4 udebs for debian-cd and instead _not_
exclude reiserfsprogs-udeb?
Do you remember why that was excluded in the first place? If it is not
needed, should we drop the dependency in partman-reiserfs?

reiserfsprogs-udeb contains:
-rwxr-xr-x root/root    302476 2004-10-15 13:49:20 ./sbin/reiserfsck
-rwxr-xr-x root/root    203436 2004-10-15 13:49:20 ./sbin/debugreiserfs
-rwxr-xr-x root/root    149740 2004-10-15 13:49:20 ./sbin/resize_reiserfs
AFAICT neither of these are currently used (in partman at least).