Run d-i from an allready booted system?

Hi!

Just a quick question:  Would it be possible to start d-i from an
allready running system, e.g. a booted live CD similar to knoppix?

The idea behind that is, that it would be nice to have the possibilite
to run a live system for testing purpouse, and if the user likes it
install a clean and pure Debian system.

Most install scripts I'm aware of just copy the running system to the
disc (including heavily patched packages, which make only sense for live
CDs).  Running a preseeded d-i would be a nice way to install a clean
system...

... was just an idea I just had, and I would like to know, if such a
thing would be possible (pointers what I should read to try it are most
welcome ;)

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander