Re: [g-i] fonts: a few thoughts

Denis Barbier wrote:
On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 12:25:12PM +0100, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
[...]

+# this font size is good for 640x480 or 800x600 screens
+GTK_FONT_DEAFULT_SIZE=12

You wrote DEAFULT instead of DEFAULT in the whole patch.

yes, sorry for the typo :)

Moreover one could write
  : ${GTK_FONT_DEFAULT_SIZE=12}
instead so that other components may change this default size, eg.
setting this parameter on the boot command line should work, which
is useful to perform tes

well, i previously hardcoded the GTK_FONT_DEFAULT_SIZE value inside the localechooser script, but later i tought this should be a global variable set at runtime by some other script that is run before localechooser. I think that a new script, provided by the rootskel-gtk package, should be able to decide what's the best resolution the GTK frontend has to run at (the GTK FE can be made able to take the window's width and height from the external) in every situation. Sven, for example, told me that the most part of PPC machines have only a fixed resolution framebuffer (usually something a lot bigger than 800x600), thus the GTK frontend is actually displayed as a 800x600 postal stamp inside an almost empty blue DirectFB screen :( Since a script that detects what kind of framebuffer we have and decide if enabling or disabling DFB's HW acceleration accordingly already has to be developed, then we could also check in the same script for the FB's resolution, set a corresponding pair of GTK_FRONTEND_WIDTH and GTK_FRONTEND_HEIGHT global variables and calucalate the most appropriate value for GTK_FONT_DEFAULT_SIZE. Since we want to provide an hight-contrast theme for visual impaired people too, choosable at boot time via a special boot parameter, the very same script could also be useful to set an higher GTK_FONT_DEFAULT_SIZE than in the case the standard GTK theme is used.

ciao

Attilio