Re: Merging Kickstart support from Ubuntu

Please pardon my probable NIH, but personally, I have never seen the
point of d-i supporting kickstart files. Surely anyone who is going to
deploy with that will need to test and fine tune things anyway to make
an existing kickstart file work with d-i, so I don't see the problem
with requring they rewrite the file to be a preseed file at the same
time. Especially because this tends to increase the number of preseed
files out there and thus the visibility and popularity and
documentedness of preseeding.

As to the 14k, we're currently too big for 32 mb memory installs and
adding more code to base just makes that even harder to attain again,
which is more of a concern than size on the floppies which can't really
support noninteractive installs anyway. If we're going to add code in
this area it seems to me that using the space for a compatability layer
to make preseed files work without mods between sarge and etch (etc)
would be more beneficial.

>   * Mandatory: Kickstart lets you choose to install specific packages as
>     well as package groups (i.e. tasks). Ubuntu has a
>     pkgsel/install-pattern question that can be preseeded with an
>     aptitude pattern, so it's easy there; in Debian, we probably need a
>     similar facility in tasksel.

I'd like to have this regardless, although I'm not sure that exposing it
as a pattern (rather than a list of packages that is used to construct a
pattern) is good since patterns can be hard for users to get right,
especially with packages with "+" in their names.

--
see shy jo