Continuing problems with installer and Sager 9880

I'm trying to install Debian on a new Sager 9880, thus far with no good results. All attempts fail at the partman step with "no partitionable media. The unit has twin SATA disks with a Promise SATA378 TX2Plus scsi controller. I've tried 3 different installers: 1. Official Sarge installation dvd's, 5/28 version, downloaded via jigdo and burned. 2. Custom monolithic mini installer built with custom build of the latest 2.6.12-rc6 kernel with everything modularized per normal installer requirements 3. Custom netboot mini installer, built with another custom build of the 2.6.12-rc6 kernel that has all required components for the Sager built in and no modules.

All 3 successfully configure the network, acpi and card services, but fail at the partman step unable to find the hard drives.

I have some concerns about each of the 3 approaches tried so far:
1. Both the 2.4 and 2.6.8 kernels on the official installers, according to other postings I've Googled, have problems in libata and sata_promise with my controller. This is why I've tried 2.6.12-rc6 which shows full support for this controller in the current libata status. 2. The monolithic mini install successfully loads the essential modules (especially sata_promise), but complains that ide-mod is required but unavailable to be loaded. Might this be required? It is on the cd as a module -- why might it be unavailable? Also, I was surprised that the monolithic target is commented out of the build script for debian-installer (pulled from subversion trunk this past Saturday). I uncommented it and it built fine (after mucking with modules and packages for 2.6.12-rc6...). Is it commented out because it is broken in some way? 3. The netboot mini installer shows the wrong configuration in /proc/config.gz, i.e. not the configuration I built the kernel with. However, I'm pretty sure the correct kernel was used as no modules were created and it correctly installed and configured my network card (Realtek gigabit, the driver for which is built-in to this kernel), as well as my acpi and card services (all required modules built-in to the netboot kernel only). To build the netboot mini, I eliminated all module lists from debian-installer and kernel-wedge, except for kernel-image, and reduced the package lists also to only kernel-image. This seemed to work fine -- is there some reason perhaps it produced a bad result? Also, all of the following modules show as unvailable (a few of the same ones also show as unavailable in the monolithic mini): a. i810_rng (also unavailable in monolithic mini; Intel 82801 PCI Bridge). I cannot find this module anywhere in the kernel. Anyone know where to find it? b. sata_promise (unavailable only in netboot, not in monolithic mini where it does show as loaded). It is built into the netboot kernel. Might it still show as unavailable even if it is working properly? c. usb-storage (not built-in to netbuilt kernel -- should not be needed) d. ide-core, ide-mod, ide-probe-mode, ide-detect, ide-generic, ide-floppy, ide-disk, ide-cd (all that are available in the kernel are built into the netboot kernel)
     e.  isofs  (built in to netboot kernel and working)
     f.  sr_mod  (scsi cdrom)  ???

Does anyone have any suggestions on next steps or how to get past this impasse? In particularly, how might I diagnose at a finer granularity why partman is failing. The only interesting messages in the logs are these:

File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
 No matching physical volumes found
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
 No volume groups found
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...

These same messages occur in the logs with all 3 installers.

Thanks for any tips,

Chuck