Re: Sarge branch build dies with free blocks count == 0

Thiemo Seufer wrote:
| Daniel Dickinson wrote:
| [snip]
|
|>Well afir the only change between a build with this message and the
|>build getting further, was adding the pic's so something screwy was
|>going on.  Personally I think my problems are a result of trying to use
|>the buildscript before this.   I know it's supposed to be fine, but it
|>sounds like it's really not used much,
|

| FWIW, I wrote buildscript just as a helper for local d-i testing,
| and put it in SVN when it evolved enough to be useful for other
| d-i developers with different architectures. It was never intended
| to be useful for production builds of d-i.

Ah, I believe Joey mentioned something along those lines.  The
unfortunate thing is that I didn't realize that before I started trying
to use it.  Perhaps a note in the scripts directory on in buildscript
itself (I did look at it to figure out the command line), so as to
prevent similar mistakes.

The reason I used buildscript in the first place and not just
make all_build in the installer/build directory is that a) I had
problems with mismatched installer-i386 and udebs when downloaded from
installer-i386 on a netinst cd but later upgraded my archive, b) I
didn't realize that make build_xx would download the required udebs
(perhaps a note in the installer README, unless there is one and I
missed it), and c) I saw the packages directory when doing the svn and
just *assumed* (bad Daniel), that this is how one assured a compatible
udeb + installer build.

| [snip]
|
|>| You seem to have managed to install a udeb, libdebian-installer4-udeb,
|>| as a deb, using dpkg, onto your debian system. This _will_ break the
|>| build. Don't do that.
|>
|>Hmmm...that is either from buildscript, or because I was getting
|>desperate, I can't recall which.  I think I'm just going to have to bite
|>the bullet and reinstall debian to get back to a coherent state.  Blah
|>for buildscript IMNSHO.
|

| buildscript doesn't install udebs, aside from copying them to localudebs.
| (At least it didn't the last time I used it.)

Must have been me in frustration then.  Oh well, live and learn.
Hopefully things work 'just work' this time (well after the build
dependencies are installed with apt-get).

Thanks for the info,

Daniel