Re: debian installer, uml, kernel 2.6

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 08:52 +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 11:28:52PM -0500, Raylynn Knight wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-12-18 at 15:12, Sven Luther wrote:
>
> > > Yeah, but which of the images do you use ? what is the name of it ? I use the
> > > zImage.chrp, so hopefully yours is named zImage.nubus or something ?
> > >
> > A 'Mach Kernel' image is created.
>
> Yep, guessed such. Ideally, we would integrate the appleboot stuff with the
> arch/ppc/boot stuff directly, sounds cleaner, but well.
>
> I have built a kernel, and put it at :
>
>   http://people.debian.org/~luther/Mach Kernel
>
> could you download it an try booting with it just to make sure ? It contains a
> random initrd image, so it will fail in the end, but i want to make sure it
> will boot or something.
Sorry for the delay in responding.  Holiday's bring family obligations.

Booting this kernel with the MkLinux Booter on my PowerBook 5300
(running Debian Sarge) with the same boot options my normal boot kernel
has gets me as far as:

Linux Version 2.4.27, Compiled #4 dim déc 19 14:47:28 CET 2004
    One PPC 603e Processor, 48 MB RAM, 77.61 Bogmips Total
                  pb5300

Updating the linuxlogo... linuxlogo
INIT: Id "1" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

I can ssh in, but can't seem to get console access.

> BTW, i can possibly get hands on a 68k mac, but i have some fear that it might
> be 040LC based, no chance to run linux on this one, right ?

It may or may not work, depending on the Mask revision of the 040LC
processor.  I can't recall what the range of bad mask revisions is.  You
can however replace the LC040 with an RC040.  Just a matter of pulling
one chip and inserting the full '040.  I've done this successfully with
an LC476, an LC575 and a Performa 636.

--
Raylynn Knight <audilvr@speakeasy.org>