Re: insufficient dependencies by debootstrap

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:45:56PM +0100, Miro Dietiker, MD Systems wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Debootstrap depends on the following (un addition to the listed in
> package!):
> - grep
> - sed
> - gzip (zcat)
> - tar
>
> What is the reason for not listing this in the package?
> It made me much work to try to run debootstrap till it cancelled
> due to missing prerequisites, building these again, rebuilding
> system and retry to boot debootstrap...
>
> I had also a dependency on "ls" (coreutils) on libattr1 which
> is not listed.
>
> Any comments?

Those are the difficult messages.

The poster _is_ putting some effort in his challenge.
But it is not clear what he is trying to achieve.

Miro,

In a previous posting you were doing something crossplatform.
( Crossplatform is cool! (yep, it is also on my wishlist))

Your question
> What is the reason for not listing this in the package?
doesn't state that you are doing crossplatform right now,
neither isn't any other context provided.

<advice>
Rewrite your question and use a template like this
<template>
Hello,

The current version of $foo is doing $bar fine.

Now I want that $foo also does $baz.

While doing so, I encountered .....
and did ..... to circumvent that.

What is needed to make $foo doing $baz?