Re: [Yaird-devel] Re: initramfs generator selection

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:18:04PM +0100, Maximilian Attems wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 04:01:15PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> > (CC to d-kernel and yaird-devel for comments. Topic is a question in
> >  Debian Installer regarding the initramfs generator to use.
> >  For the start of the thread see:
> >  http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/12/msg01228.html)

> > > s/can/must..:-)
> > >
> > > Given that the question is really technical, I would even suggest to
> > > drop the priority down to low.....
>
> agreeing.

Only for the final etch release, in the meantime there is no harm done in
asking explcitily. The point is moot anyway until we have 2.6.14 or 2.6.15 in
testing anyway.

> > Next thing to decide is which of the two generators should be default. My
> > personal preference goes to initramfs-tools. Main reason is that yaird's
> > "minimalistic" and "fail when in doubt" approach is more likely to result
> > in (possibly unneeded) installation failures than initramfs-tools. The
> > second reason is the missing support in yaird for drivers that do not yet
> > have sysfs support.
> > I feel that yaird's approach is more suited to upgrades than to new
> > installs. A failure to reboot is probably less problematic for a newly
> > installed system than for a production system (therefore having yaird as
> > the default dependency in the kernel-image packages might be a good
> > choice).

I would have thought it the other way around, there is no reason to use
initramfs-tools for a new install, since we are then not upgrading from 2.4
kernels. The other issues are just bugs which needs to be fixed.

> cool.
> the choice in k-p is decided to be rotated.
> 2.6.14 is yaird
> 2.6.15 is initramfs-tools
and obviously 2.6.16 is yaird again :)

But really, my own feeling is that initramfs-tools is still in a less mature
state than yaird accross al architectures, not sure if this really changed for
2.6.15 though.

I guess the best decision on this is to say that whichever tool is first ready
to allow 2.6.14+ kernels to enter testing should be made default :) At least
for beta2 if we are going with 2.6.14+ kernels for it.

> >   Default: initramfs-tools yaird
> >   Default[alpha]: initramfs-tools
> >   Default[hppa]: yaird
> >   Default[ia64]: yaird
> >   Default[m68k]: yaird
> >   Default[mips]: yaird
> >   Default[mipsel]: yaird
> >   Default[sparc]: yaird
> >
> > [1] http://wiki.debian.org/InitrdReplacementOptions
>
> yaird has an heavy perl + modules dependency,

This is hardly a "heavy" dependency as was discussed previously.

> initramfs-tools will take much less space.

once klibc is maturated enough and all pieces are in place, but this is not
yet the case.

Friendly,

Sven Luther