Re: initramfs generator selection (was: Re: r33348 - trunk/packages/base-installer/debian)

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 09:07:44AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Currently the question is asked at high priority to allow users some
> > flexibility when they encounter problems. When the generators have
> > stabilized and we know what arches/configurations are supported best by
> > which tool, we can either set single defaults or drop the priority to
> > medium.
>

> s/can/must..:-)
>
> Given that the question is really technical, I would even suggest to
> drop the priority down to low.....

The idea is to have it at priority high now, while we sort things out, and
once we have some more experience with it and a choice is made for the
default, drop to priority low.

Please don't underestimate the challenge of going away from initrd-tools in
favour of yaird or initramfs-tools, which is still an open issue, with both
tools having trouble in a different set of cases, so keeping it at priority
high as Frans did is reasonable for now.

It is evident that as we near the etch release, or even probably the etch
freeze, things will have been solved more, but this is still at least 6 month
away (well, the freeze is 6 month away and the release 12).

Friendly,

Sven Luther