Re: re-examining localisation setup for the second stage

> Now that there isn't a second stage anymore, and after d-i reboots the
> system, it boots up to a login prompt or gdm, it's a good time to
> re-examine some of the stuff we do for localisation in the second stage.

Here's additionnal comments from mine, which you'll receive....at some
moment in the future, when I will connect again to grab my mail.

> Here are some localisation-related packages that are installed by
> debootstrap:
>
> console-common
> console-data
> console-tools
>
> 	I assume that these are still useful in setting up various
> 	keyboard and display stuff and it should work the same as it did
> 	when we had base-config, so I think we should keep these until
> 	the kdb stuff is ready.

Yes, definitely. Anyway, as far as I have understood, kbd will at the
minimum use stuff from console-data.

We can probably *not* install them for languages which anyway are not
properly supported at the console, ie "category 3" languages.

> 	Hmm, localechooser will also install this on some (most? all?)
> 	systems. Would it be better to leave this out of what
> 	debootstrap installs and have localechooser install it if it's
> 	needed?

Yes, especially because of what I mentioned above.

> debconf-i18n
> libwrap0
>
> 	Still needed for general debconf l10n.

Agreed.

> Here are some packages that we include on the netinst CDs and that
> localechooser installs in its prebaseconfig script.
>
> jfbterm
> unifont
> 	termwrap ran base-config inside these, but since base-config no
> 	longer runs, they are not used unless they are manually run.
>
> 	I think these should be removed from the netinst CD and from
> 	localechooser. If someone figures out a way to run a login
> 	session at the console in these we can add them back.

Agreed as well: we can remove them.

> libfribidi0
>
> 	IIRC this is dynamically loaded by newt when possible for bidi
> 	so we should keep it, unless the chances of the installed system
> 	having the other bits for a working bidi environment is zero.

Agreed.

> iso-codes
>
> 	Installed by localechooser with a "FIXME: why this?" for non-en
> 	languages. My guess is that this is installed becuse apt-setup used
> 	iso-codes if it was available. Well, that program is gone, so,
> 	time to stop installing this.

Yes, I have seen your comment in the commit message and I fully agree
with it.

> console-cyrillic
> console-terminus
>
> 	installed by localechooser to enable fonts on the console, so
> 	we should keep it.

Yep.

> localization-config
>
> 	currently installed by localechooser, this needs to be updated
> 	for no-more-base-config, but we can keep it for now.

This mostly depends on what will be done for l-c. As I've seen a lot
of work and discussion by Konstantinos, I think we mostly need to wait..:)

> Here are some packages that localechooser tries to install, but that are
> not included on the netinst CD.
>
> bterm-unifont
>
> 	Apparently this is not very important since noone has complained
> 	that it's not on the netinst. And termwrap doesn't use it at all
> 	so I think this is cruft and localechooser should stop installing
> 	it.

Sure.

> belocs-locales-data
> belocs-locales-bin
>
> 	Needed for some new locales.
>
> 	This will probably never fit on the netinst CD unless we remove
> 	locales from it.

That's one of the most important points about localization in the
future. I am in favour of dropping out locales in favor of belocs
stuff as belocs is way more complete and way better
supported. However, my understanding was that it needed for locales to
be removed from the base system, ie lowered Priority.

Denis Barbier requested for this in the -glibc mailing list but there
has been no followup which I'm aware of.

I would favour a quite strong action by us, either before or after
beta2: drop locales from the netinst and stop installing it while we
install belocs-* instead.