re-examining localisation setup for the second stage

Now that there isn't a second stage anymore, and after d-i reboots the
system, it boots up to a login prompt or gdm, it's a good time to
re-examine some of the stuff we do for localisation in the second stage.

We no longer need to worry about providing a translated environment for
base-config to run in. We do still need to set up locales for the user's
language. Do we need to try to provide a usable localised system in
text-based logins? Of course, we never have anyway for some languages such
as Japanese. There has been some talk about forcing root's locale to C
for such languages so root can administer the machine at the console.

Here are some localisation-related packages that are installed by
debootstrap:

console-common
console-data
console-tools

	I assume that these are still useful in setting up various
	keyboard and display stuff and it should work the same as it did
	when we had base-config, so I think we should keep these until
	the kdb stuff is ready.

	Hmm, localechooser will also install this on some (most? all?)
	systems. Would it be better to leave this out of what
	debootstrap installs and have localechooser install it if it's
	needed?

debconf-i18n
libwrap0

	Still needed for general debconf l10n.

Here are some packages that we include on the netinst CDs and that
localechooser installs in its prebaseconfig script.

jfbterm
unifont
	termwrap ran base-config inside these, but since base-config no
	longer runs, they are not used unless they are manually run.

	I think these should be removed from the netinst CD and from
	localechooser. If someone figures out a way to run a login
	session at the console in these we can add them back.

libfribidi0

	IIRC this is dynamically loaded by newt when possible for bidi
	so we should keep it, unless the chances of the installed system
	having the other bits for a working bidi environment is zero.

iso-codes

	Installed by localechooser with a "FIXME: why this?" for non-en
	languages. My guess is that this is installed becuse apt-setup used
	iso-codes if it was available. Well, that program is gone, so,
	time to stop installing this.

console-cyrillic
console-terminus

	installed by localechooser to enable fonts on the console, so
	we should keep it.

localization-config

	currently installed by localechooser, this needs to be updated
	for no-more-base-config, but we can keep it for now.

Here are some packages that localechooser tries to install, but that are
not included on the netinst CD.

bterm-unifont

	Apparently this is not very important since noone has complained
	that it's not on the netinst. And termwrap doesn't use it at all
	so I think this is cruft and localechooser should stop installing
	it.

belocs-locales-data
belocs-locales-bin

	Needed for some new locales.

	This will probably never fit on the netinst CD unless we remove
	locales from it.

--
see shy jo