Re: Glitches with install from daily build

Quoting Ross Boylan (RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org):
> 1. In the first phase of the install (before the reboot) I was asked
> about setting the clock, time zone, admin user, other user, and
> passwords.
>
> When I rebooted for the next phase, a screen came up saying it saw I
> was in the middle of an install, and that it would, among other
> things, configure all the things listed in the first paragraphy.

This is because you installed testing with a daily image. We moved a
lot of 2nd stage stuff back to first stage, but testing's base-config
has not been updated (and we not be soon as this would break installs
made with the beta1 release of the installer).

> 2. I selected most of the packages to install, including print
> server.  This produced these error messages:
> Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
> Unable to correct dependencies, some packages cannot be installed
> Unable to resolve some dependencies!
>
> cupsys-bsd: Conflicts: lpr but 1:2005.05.01 is to be installed.
>
> Substantively, I don't know why lpr is being installed under any
> scenario; I thought cups was the way to go (tm).
>
> This may be just a transitory issue with the repository; testing
> appears to be the target.

Yep, this seems to be such an issue. lpr was probably installed (as
part of the base system?), then installing CUPS as part of the print
server task leads to what you saw.

Also possible is some package in the print-server task which would
still trigger lpr while it now conflict with cupsys. *This* could be
an issue in tasksel, then.

> Copy edits: The first two lines ("Unable to...") have comma splices.
> It should be a period or semi-colon where the commas are.
> The second line needs a period at the end.

Hmmm, I'm afraid I don't really see what you're talking about here...