Re: [g-i] Uploaded ttf-arabeyes with a udeb for the ae_Tholoth.ttf font for graphical D-I needs

On Sunday 27 November 2005 19:40, Christian Perrier wrote:
> I have just uploaded in the archive a new version (1.1-2) of the
> ttf-arabeyes package, initially maintained by Mohammed Elzubeir.

As I've said before [1], I really think this is very nice, but possibly
premature.

The fonts currently used in the graphical installer are an initial
selection made by someone without any knowledge of font management, the
involved languages, their preferred fonts and a lot of other things (i.e.
me). This has already been proven for Arabic by the comments from adn on
IRC.

They current selection was purely to be able to get a working installer at
least having some support for all languages while at least somewhat
limiting the amount of space used. The real work in this area starts now
as detailed in the wiki [2].

I do not think I will be using this udeb in the daily builds for now as
I'd rather keep the more flexible approach that is offered by the
tarballs. People can easily play with these by using a local webserver
for the tarballs and changing the location where fonts are downloaded
from in the build configuration.

I really hope a team of people will come forward after the announcement
that will really attack this subject in a structured way.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/11/msg01161.html
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstallerGUIToDo