Re: installer with 2.6.14 or...?

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 06:38:26AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> > > And no, I'm not going to stop saying this to you as you seem just as
> > > little inclined to respond to repeated requests from us to stop whining
> > > about this.
> >
> > yeah, whine whine whine, in the meantime, what action is being taken ? Nothing
> > that i see about this, and as in many other cases, you chose just to ignore it
> > because it is not convenient to you, or whatever.
>

> Or maybe just becaue noone has the needed time...
>
> I'm afraid this is the main reason for which what you suggest hasn't
> been implemented.

So ? how does asking about the status hurt in any way ? We assuredly lose more
time infighting about this than it would take to implement this, and it is
very bad for motivation to get constantly bashed by Frans on this.

My own take on this is anyway that the kernel team should take over this, but
i understand the concerns of the d-i folk wanting to maintain the control over
which modules goes into which .udeb.

> >From my experience in past years with D-I development, the whole load
> of keeping things on their track is always on a few shoulders, which
> is not a so bad thing...but has a few drawbacks...one being that good
> things may take time to implement, even when they're technically obvious.
>
> I'm pretty sure that what you talk about is perfectly taken into
> account...and just a little patience is needed.

So, if Frans has no time to reply in a constructive manner, he should just
shut up and ignore the question.

> On your side, I may understand that this new feature of udebs
> autobuilding is of high importance for you and you're desperately waiting
> for it.

I think it will be a good thing, and more constructive than waiting for
porters of each arch to come and make the .udeb upload, how long did the
2.6.12 migration take ? A couple of weeks ?

> like to see the issue raised again (which Frans emphasises by
> "whine").

Yeah, the problem is that each time i raise an issue, Frans comes screaming at
me.

Friendly,

Sven Luther