Re: GTK frontend updated, please test unofficial miniiso

On Thursday 27 October 2005 10:37, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> -"error", "text", "note"  questions in the GTK FE are displayed by the
> same question handler, while the NEWT FE flashes in red the screen when
> an error question is diplayed.
> Shouldn't also the GTK FE act somehow this way, maybe displaying a "i"
> icon aside the question when displaying a "note" or a "text" question,
> an "!" icon when displaying an error?
> Eduard, can you draw those icons? if i'm not wrong some times ago you
> drew an "i" (red) inside a circle (red) icon in some of your
> screenshots

This is something I have been considering as well. When designing a
solution, we do need to keep in mind that it has to work for all
languages, so we should try to keep to internationally accepted icons.

> -When pressing "ESC" you get back to the main menu: should the GTK
> frontend implement such a functionality?
>
> -It would be nice if you could automatically activate "Back" button  by
> pressing "BackDel" key (the key above "Enter"  on the keyboard)

Note that that key has another function when editing text in a field. I'm
not sure if it should get another function as well.

> -A text is displayed in the bottom part of the screen and tells the
> user about shortcut shortcut commands: shall the GTK FE display this
> string too? maybe in a statusbar at the bottom of the screen?

Having a status bar could be a good idea, but not high priority IMO.

> -As "execute a shell", neither "configure base sytem" works in the GTK
> FE

Maybe we should suppress those functions for now. Maybe a new "shell-gtk"
udeb is needed instead of the current one?
Guess that depends on the reasons for the failure.

Thinking out load... A shell-gtk udeb could open a shell in a new window
and be hidden when you click the main window with an icon showing to
activate the shell again.
Maybe we could also show icons by default that open a window (with
scrollbar) showing logfiles (instead of having to switch to VT3/4)...
Maybe we should have a menu that allows the user to select such functions.
Ah well, nice ideas for future development :-)