Re: GTK frontend - status update

Frans Pop wrote:
I've today uploaded the latest versions of tarballs and udebs to alioth.

Changes are:
- new horizontal logo in rootskel-gtk udeb (thanks Eduardo)
- updated frontend (cdebconf-gtk udeb) by Attilio
- Chinese and Japanese ttf fonts replaced by xfonts-wqy bitmap font
  (resulting in size reduction of 8.3 MB)
  Thanks to Ming Hua for suggesting the change.

cool! :)

I will not be doing new uploads of udebs to the official archive until Attilio finishes the changes he announced today.

i'll try to commit this night modifications to question (extended) desfriptions and FE title. should we switch to 640x480 immediatly or later? switch will require to modify gtk.c, vga=xxx boot parameter and the "logo_debian.png" logo inside rootskel udeb.

gtk+-directfb development libraries
===================================
Unfortunately these have been rejected from the NEW queue [1]. I expect that Alastair is working on solving the issues, but it looks like this will take a while longer than we hoped.

Integrating builds into official daily builds
A (not quite) new problem has cropped up in the efforts to get rid of localudebs. The dependency resolution for udebs is not foolproof [2]. The builds for other images have been finetuned over time to avoid these problems, but with our new udebs we are again running into this structural problem.

We will either need to (ask their maintainers to) change the dependencies for quite a few of the udebs we use, or we will have to get a structural solution for this issue implemented [3]. I plan to investigate this further but, again, this will take time to resolve.

However, I am quite happy with the way the current build system works and this should not hinder development too much.

the most important thing is that the miniiso building system really works on i386 and allows people to test the frontend: frontend developement, miniiso building system bugfix and fonts packaging should be able to proceed in parallel (i think) without deadlocks.

Involving others in development
As I've said during the last IRC meeting, I plan to make an announcement of the graphical installer to the debian-devel-announce list. In that announcement we can ask for help from people involved in GTK and font packaging/development, as well as from i18n people. I would like to wait with that until the main usability issues have been fixed as best as possible. The reason for the delay is that I would like those people to focus on new stuff without being distracted by obvious minor problems.

i hope i will be able to fix most of the reported issues during this week: i also hope we'll be able to announce about the graphical debian installer after almost every object (title, progressbar) has found a definitive collocation inside the FE window.

ciao

Attilio