Re: Usability issues for the GTK graphical frontend, categorized and updated list

Christian Perrier wrote:
Anyway EVERY question, as recomended by the debconf protocol, shoud be provided by an appropriate extended description (especially now that the GTK frontend allows to display it togheter with the question)

I don't agree. If the short description is enough by itself, there is
no point in adding an extended description.

See debconf-devel(7) where Joey gives quite the same advice.

I think missing extended descriptions are no longer a problem if the qestion's extended description is displayed exactly above the question itself. The result is a nice graphical output even if exdended description to the question is missing (blank lines should be removed anyway, if present). I also noticed that using work-wrapping GTKLabel(s) often brings to non optimal text render since functions needed to set the number of chars after the line has to be wrapped around are available only for GTK >= 2.6.0 Because of this lack in GTKDFB 2.0.9 text lines are often wrapped around at half the screen (horizontally) , resulting in bad frontend aspect. Since it seems to me that extended descriptions are better displayed immediatly above the question description (which is diplayed above the question itself, the NEWT way), every extended description and related description can be conveniently diplayed inside the very same GTKTextView. GTKTextView widgets have the great advantage to correctly wrap text lines and to allow for advanced text formatting even with GTKDFB 2.0.9. I'll make some experiments tomorrow and i'll post PNGs to the ML so that anyone can see what the result would be.

ciao

Attilio

ciao

Attilio