Re: rescue mode & partitions

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 05:46:17PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 03:28:39PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 01:12:19PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>      <snip/>
> > > Anyway, partman is not used. Instead a list of partitions is shown from
> > > which the user has to select his root partition. Then a shell is started.
> > > Other partitions have to be mounted separately.
> >
> > This is a full list of partitions, we don't do probing of content and such ?
>
>  "rescue mode" == "expect the worse and hope for the best"
>
> I myself consider searching for disk devices and reading partition
> tables allready 'tricky' for a programm.
> Further automatic probing is even more trickier ...

Well, there is a difference between generic rescue, and rebuilding the
bootloader/initrd, where you already know much of what to expect.

>  anyway
>
> > > a list of partitions is shown from which the user has to select
> > > his root partition
>
>  Could
>
> | Device to mount as root file system:
> |
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part1
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part2
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part3
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part4
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part5
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part6
> |            /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part7
>
> into
>
> | Device to mount as root file system:
> |
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part1:32M,Linux
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part2:600M,Linux
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part3:30G,LVM
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part4:10G,extended
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part5:1G,LinuxSwap/Solaris
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part6:2G,Linux
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part7:4G,Linux
> |       /dev/discs/disc0/part1/part8:3G,Linux

Yes, but the os-probber thingy can already do more than this, and it is
interesting to know at least which of the numerous linux partitions is the
root partition, and which is not.

> So that more information from the partitiontable is shown,
> such as size and type

Yes. and even a real tabbed thingy, ideally the same kind of stuff as partman
uses. Also, parted upto a point provides functionality to do filesystem and
partition table recovery.

Friendly,

Sven Luther