Re: 4 mock-ups for graphical d-i for inspiration

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:50:31PM -0700, Eduardo Silva wrote:
> Hello,
> I have made a few mockups showing ideas for debian
> installer. As you'll probably notice, it takes a lot
> of inspiration from the current text interface.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/country.png

Do you think this can be done with a gtk theme, or does this require a
new widget set design (and who wants to do such a thing).

The look is pretty clean and simple though.  Pretty.

> http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/keyboard.png
> http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/loading.png
> http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/network.png
>
> 1 - I took out the menu. Like the text interface, it
> can be reached through the back button.

Which is so nonintuative.  Back should go to the previous question.

> 2 - No side pane help. Many other distro installers,
> like Fedora Core's, have a sidepane on the left for
> help, with a button to hide it if the user wants to. I
> don't think that a user will ever want to hide help if
> it is there on your face. The oposite, clicking on a
> button to show help, is a different question, but it
> is my opinion that the current Wizard-like stylo of
> d-i is something good.
>
> 3 - Added an info "i" icon, as well as put the intro
> in a blue background. This is mostly to better
> diferenciate the proper question/prompt, from its
> explanation. And to avoid the side-pane discussed
> above.so people used to installing Debian caso the
> help text is more like an explanation of the current
> step.

That was supposed to be a button?  I thought it was some logo for
something.  Maybe buttons should try to look like buttons so people
realize they are clickable.

> 4 - Resizable window. Perhaps this can be hard to do
> tecnologically, but again, my inspiration was the text
> interface, and I think it looks better than some pages
> of d-i having mostly empty space.
>
> 5 - The only flaw in these mockups are that they don't
> show the debian logo, but I could find a way to place
> them while maintaing this "resizable" window theme.
> Perhaps instead of having debian's logo in every
> screen, only show it in a initial "welcoming" screen.
> These can be anoying, though...
>
> Anyway, I'm posting them here as (hopefully)
> inspiration for those who are developing the UI.
>
> OH MY ... http://www.geocities.com/jobezone/index.html

Len Sorensen