Re: Debian Sarge install report

You don't say which image you used (full URL preferably). Without that
info we cannot do much with your report.
The best way to give feedback on the installer is to use our installation
report template [1].

[1] http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/report-template

On Friday 30 September 2005 15:13, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 01:13:26AM -0700, J Busser wrote:
> > 2) to shrink a Windows NTFS partition without having to use
> > commercial software under Windows.

You could also have used the resize option that is included in the
partitioning tool of debian installer (although we currently miss the
nice manual part).

> > 3) why Sarge proved impossible to install from the business card ISO
> > that I downloaded. Which is why I gave up preparing a dual-boot
> > machine but think I could do it now/next time, if that should become
> > important to me. The Sarge install kept hanging 7% of the way through
> > the base install. It was not a matter of my not waiting long enough,
> > for each time my progress fully died after about 5-10 minutes, with
> > no further progress after waiting an extra *two* hours. I got excited
> > when I learned online that conflicts between CD drivers and SATA
> > drivers can impede a Sarge install and require reducing the selection
> > to the bare minimum until later. But this only partly helped, I got
> > stuck at 40% of an install. The larger netinstall CD worked, so
> > either the more-complete CD is advisable with SATA drives, or I had a
> > defective download/burn of the businesscard ISO.

In general, there are no significant differences between installation
methods in this respect.

> I have never used the business card cd.  I only use floppies or netinst
> cd.  I am not even sure what the business card cd contains to be
> honest.

The difference is that the netinst CD contains the Packages (.deb)
required to install the base system; the businesscard CD does not. If you
use the businesscard CD, these will be downloaded from the net.
Everything up to base-installation should thus be identical (except that
you need to select a mirror for the businesscard CD).
The outward difference is mainly size.

Cheers,
FJP