Re: Debian Sarge install report

J Busser wrote:
> - I tried it, and it worked :-). I mainly wanted to try this, to help
> assure the Windows-dependent that it is possible even for someone who
> has never before installed Linux to set up a dual-boot machine. I
> could not tell with certainly whether resizing the partition would be
> easy or possible with Debian. Reading online I had the impression
> that although Debian includes "partman" the installer may not support
> resizing an NTFS partition.

A few choice quotes from the installation manual:

  If your machine has a FAT or NTFS filesystem, as used by DOS and Windows,
  you can wait and use Debian installer's partitioning program to
  resize the filesystem.

  The installer supports resizing of both FAT and NTFS filesystems; when you
  get to the installer's partitioning step, select the option to partition
  manually and then simply select an existing partition and change its size.

  If you choose manual partitioning, you can use the installer to resize
  existing FAT or NTFS partitions to create room for the Debian install:
  simply select the partition and specify its new size.

> 3) why Sarge proved impossible to install from the business card ISO
> that I downloaded. Which is why I gave up preparing a dual-boot
> machine but think I could do it now/next time, if that should become
> important to me. The Sarge install kept hanging 7% of the way through
> the base install. It was not a matter of my not waiting long enough,
> for each time my progress fully died after about 5-10 minutes, with
> no further progress after waiting an extra *two* hours. I got excited
> when I learned online that conflicts between CD drivers and SATA
> drivers can impede a Sarge install and require reducing the selection
> to the bare minimum until later. But this only partly helped, I got
> stuck at 40% of an install. The larger netinstall CD worked, so
> either the more-complete CD is advisable with SATA drives, or I had a
> defective download/burn of the businesscard ISO.

Based on your description, you had a network problem or a bad mirror.

--
see shy jo