Re: Possible conflicts in unstable

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 01:54:02PM -0700, Allyn, MarkX A wrote:
> I am trying to upgrade from stable (Sarge) to unstable (sid). I think I
> am finding myself in a catch-22 situation

> After setting the /etc/apt/sources.list to the unstable sources and
> doing
> and apt-get update, I try the following:

> I bring the system down to a run-state of 1 (with no X running). I was
> told this helps because it reduces the number of processes running on
> the
> machine.

> I then do a apt-get dist-upgrade

> Things seem to run okay until it tries to install the new udev package.

> There is a complaint that the udev package needs a 2.6.12 kernel.

> I then try to install the linux-image-2.6.12-1-386 package.

> I get an error saying that hal: Depends udev (>- 0.063)

You should be able to downgrade to the sarge version of hal, install
linux-image-2.6.12-1-386, reboot, and then finish the dist-upgrade.

> I try running apt-get -f install and it says that udev needs to be
> installed. I answer yes to the verification and it comes back to the
> error that the 2.6.12 kernel needs to be installed.

> Should this be a bug filed against the installer or kerne?

Neither; it's not an installer problem, and it's not the kernel-image
that imposes the hal requirement -- that's simply a side-effect of the
dist-upgrade having failed partway through.