Re: Possible conflicts in unstable

On Tuesday 30 August 2005 22:54, Allyn, MarkX A wrote:
> Things seem to run okay until it tries to install the new udev package.
> There is a complaint that the udev package needs a 2.6.12 kernel.
>
> I then try to install the linux-image-2.6.12-1-386 package.
>
> I get an error saying that hal: Depends udev (>- 0.063)

This is a real problem that has been the root of several
flames^Wdiscussions on the debian-devel, debian-kernel and debian-release
mailing lists and is really going to hurt upgrades.

Your only option ATM is to make sure you upgrade to kernel 2.6.12 before
upgrading to sid, or to make sure you don't have udev installed.

I think you should be able to install the 2.6.12 kernel while avoiding the
error for hal, but if you already did a partial upgrade, you may need to
force something (use apt-get or dpkg options to ignore errors).

Cheers,
FJP