Re: installation report - network setup failed

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 02:47:18PM -0700, Daniel Cardenas wrote:
> Debian-installer-version: Aug 19, i386 net installDate: Aug 20Method:
> Burned CD disk.  (Would have preferred USB boot)

"hd-media" can be used for USB booting.
 [1]

> Machine: Homebuilt Intel MicroBTX, Intel 945 chipset, Motherboard
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121296, network:
> http://www.intel.com/design/network/products/lan/controllers/82573.htm
> Processor: Celeron 2.53 GHz
> Memory: 2 gigabytes
> Root Device: SATA
> Root Size/partition table: Couldn't find SATA drives
> Output of lspci and lspci -n: Don't know how to do this.

The "installation report template" assumes
that executing the lspci program is possible.

> Base System Installation Checklist: Error
> [O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it
>
> Initial boot worked:    [O]
> Configure network HW:   [e]
> Config network:         [e]
> Detect CD:              [o]
> Load installer modules: [o]
> Detect hard drives:     [e]
> Partition hard drives:  [ ]
> Create file systems:    [ ]
> Mount partitions:       [ ]
> Install base system:    [ ]
> Install boot loader:    [ ]
> Reboot:                 [ ]
>
> Comments/Problems:
> Couldn't find network card, I manually specified e1000, then couldn't get
> DNS info from DHCP, I manually specified but still didn't work.  On Windows
> the network card is identified as Intel PRO/1000 PM

Mmm, that needs further investigation. ( on your hardware )

 Switch to the second virtual console    ( press ALT-F2 )

 `ifconfig eth0 up`

 `ifconfig eth0`

 and E-mail us the output of those commands

 ALT-F1 brings you back to installer

> Didn't find my SATA drives.  Appreciate any help.
> I don't have another linux system right now, only windows.

Have you access to "live CD" like Gnoppix?

"Open a console[2]" and use

  ( lspci ; lspci -n ) | sort | less

to find the (SATA) disc controller[3]

> I read somewhere that some network issues are suppose to be
> fixed Aug 23.

You are free to try a recent version,
but if I recall correct there was no update on the hardware
discovery between 19 and 23 augustus

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1] it is poorly documented in the installation manual
[2] geek speak, nessecary for selecting the next step
[3] study to output,
 you know how disc controller PCI-ID looks, when you see one.

NOTICE:
 Shops do installations of computers.

 Installing Linux is not more difficult then Microsoft Windows,
 the difference is that you are doing it yourself
 because you didn't buy a pre-installed GNU/Linux computer.