Again about the KDE/Gnome tasks (was: Re: [PROPOSAL] tasksel: improve and enhance language tasks)

(please followup only on -boot...this sub-thread is no more in -i18n topic)

> > Your explanations seem to imply that this doesn't actually work that
> > way and thus users still do not have the choice between
> > KDE/Gnome/Both. Am I right?
>
> That's right, the kde and gnome tasks are hidden and any of them that
> are available are pulled in when the desktop task is selected.

OK. Fair enough and then there is no argument for
<language>-kde-desktop tasks in my proposed scheme now.

I know you're not fond of this...but I also know that Frans is in
favour of it, so what about a real split in the future?

This seems to be somethign that our users are requesting in some way
(from the reviews I've seen of sarge and sarge installer).

I know about your arguments against this and I understand them in some
way (the debate already happened before sarge release and, at that
moment, I agreed with your arguments). However, things have maybe
changed enough now for us to be able to complete the work and really
offer a choice between the two environments.

More or less all "advanced users" are requesting for it: these users
know what is the difference between the two major desktop environments
and allowing them to choose among both is worth it. Most of them rant
about the disk space "wasting" done by installing all the stuff.

When it comes at low skilled users, we actually choose for them
anyway: the graphical display manager by default is GDM...and default
sessions are Gnome sessions. So, from the end user point of view,
Debian installs Gnome..:-)