Re: Trouble installing sid via debootstrap

Cris Perdue wrote:
> I have a couple of servers running older versions of RedHat that I am
> interested in migrating to Debian.  One is a home server that I can try
> things out on, so it was the first test subject.  I am an experienced
> administrator, though new to Debian, and the install from an existing
> Linux system appealed to me.  Unfortunately the install did not complete
> successfully, and I hope someone can enlighten me about how to fix the
> problem or that it just isn't going to work.

I wouldn't recommend trying to debootstrap sid unless you're comfortable
both with fixing bugs in the rewritten version of debootstrap in sid and
with examining its logs in detail to deal with the constant and
currently very bad churn and breakage in sid.

> W: http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages
> was corrupt

Not sure what would cause this, it could be a problem with one of the
mirrors in the http.us.debian.org rotation (one of them was messed up
this week), or network issues. It apparently managed to retry and get a
good file eventually.

> I: Configuring base-config...
> W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5
> times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5
> times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5
> times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5
> times.
> W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5
> times.
> I: Base system installed successfully.

This bug was introduced recently in sid's debootstrap, it's bug #317447.
Deboostrap is not supposed to ignore failure like that. Your Debian
system will have packages listed as unconfigured by dpkg -c.

> [root@crispc /]# chroot /c /bin/bash
> crispc:/etc# vi fstab
> crispc:/etc# dpkg-reconfigure console-data
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>        LANGUAGE = (unset),
>        LC_ALL = (unset),
>        LANG = "en_US"
>    are supported and installed on your system.

Perfectly normal, either set up the locale in the chroot or unset LANG.

> crispc:/etc# vi /etc/network/interfaces
> crispc:/etc# vi resolv.conf
> crispc:/etc# more /etc/hostname
> /etc/hostname: No such file or directory
> crispc:/etc# cat >!$
> cat >/etc/hostname
> crispc.perdues.com

Normal, debootstrap does not create those files.

> crispc:/etc# /usr/sbin/base-config new
> Terminated

No idea what this means.

--