Trouble installing sid via debootstrap

Hi,

I have a couple of servers running older versions of RedHat that I am interested in migrating to Debian. One is a home server that I can try things out on, so it was the first test subject. I am an experienced administrator, though new to Debian, and the install from an existing Linux system appealed to me. Unfortunately the install did not complete successfully, and I hope someone can enlighten me about how to fix the problem or that it just isn't going to work.

I followed the directions in appendix C of the online Installation manual for Debian GNU/Linux 3.1, but used files from "sid". Is this doomed to failure? Should I only use the instruction with "sarge"? In case it is helpful, here are excepts from the shell window:

Thanks for any help,
Cris

[root@crispc /]# /usr/sbin/debootstrap --arch i386 sid /c http://http.us.debian.org/debian
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
W: http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2 was corrupt
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
W: http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz was corrupt
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
W: http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sid/main/binary-i386/Packages was corrupt
I: Checking component main on http://http.us.debian.org/debian...
I: Extracting base-files...

[[ Various Extracting, Unpacking, and Configuring ... ]]

I: Configuring base-config...
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
W: Failure while configuring base packages.  This will be attempted 5 times.
I: Base system installed successfully.
[root@crispc /]# chroot /c /bin/bash
crispc:/etc# vi fstab
crispc:/etc# dpkg-reconfigure console-data
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
       LANGUAGE = (unset),
       LC_ALL = (unset),
       LANG = "en_US"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
       LANGUAGE = (unset),
       LC_ALL = (unset),
       LANG = "en_US"
/usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory /usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory /usr/bin/locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
Looking for keymap to install:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
       LANGUAGE = (unset),
       LC_ALL = (unset),
       LANG = "en_US"
locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
us
crispc:/etc# vi /etc/network/interfaces
crispc:/etc# vi resolv.conf
crispc:/etc# more /etc/hostname
/etc/hostname: No such file or directory
crispc:/etc# cat >!$
cat >/etc/hostname
crispc.perdues.com
crispc:/etc# /usr/sbin/base-config new