Re: [L10N] issues with strings in DI

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 06:28:43PM +0300, Eddy Petrisor wrote:
> 1)
> The string:
> "When your computer boots, you will be able to choose to load one of these
> operating systems or your new system."
>
> Shouldn't this be:
> "When your computer will boot, you will be able to choose to load one of these
> operating systems or your new system."?
>

> I think I remember about this type of construnction of being wrong in English.
> All the times of the verbs in subordinated sentences should be at a later or
> same as the main sentence, within a phrase.

I've never heard that rule, and it's wrong; I can think of several
counterexamples which are perfectly correct English. The rule I would
use (and I just made this up, but I'm reasonably sure of my ground) is
that the tense in the subordinate clause is relative to the tense of the
main sentence.

The original sentence is correct. "When your computer will boot" sounds
wrong, and in general "when <future tense>" is rarely correct.

Cheers,