Re: nano removed/slang2 transition

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 07:04 +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> > Package: libslang2-udeb
> > Tasgs: d-i
> >
> > Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> > > I recently uploaded libslang2, which includes libslang2-udeb, but
> > > nothing should be using it yet. Why is libslang2 being used, and exactly
> > > what error occurs?
> >
> > It's already used by nano-udeb, which is probably what is pulling it in.
> > We already had to remove nano from the initrds since having two
> > slang libraries on them broke library reduction.

This has been fixed in slang2-2.0.4, which has been uploaded to
gluck_delayed (as ftp-master is down). It is also mirrored in
http://people.debian.org/~mckinstry/debian/unstable

Once this is used, nano-udeb should just work.

> So, do we need to rebuild all packages depending on slang2 as soon as
> possible?

I'm working on slang2 as fast as I can!

The remaining packages in d-i using slang1 are cdebconf and cfdisk-udeb.
I am working on these now (see
http://wiki.debian.org/?EtchSlang2upgrade ). I hope to rebuild them as
soon as possible, but for now they should just work, but pull both slang
libraries.

cfdisk-utf8 is a temporary package due to the fact that cfdisk (in
util-linux package) doesn't do UTF8. util-linux now links against
libslang2, so should do UTF8 (when rebuilt against 2.0.4), but needs a
bit of tidying up to generate a cfdisk udeb; on my todo list.

cdebconf-newt /slang links against libslang2, but there is a bug
stopping it from showing non-ASCII characters properly; fixing this is
my current priority item.

Regards
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@debian.org>