Re: Proposed new scheme for resolving the system hostname

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 13:00 +0200, John Smith wrote:
>  I installed an application called VitalQIP which didn't
> work with the dns domainname only configured in the /etc/resolv.conf.
> The dnsdomainname command gave a correct answer, on a box so configured,
> but the application didn't work. Only when we put the domainname in
> /etc/sysctl.conf it functioned correctly.

/etc/resolv.conf allows you to set a DNS domain name.

/etc/sysctl.conf controls the setting of the system NIS (not DNS) domain
name.  See /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/proc.txt for mention
of the latter.

--
Thomas Hood <jdthood@aglu.demon.nl>