Re: Proposed new scheme for resolving the system hostname

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 21:39:48 +0200
Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 09:50:07 +0200, John Smith wrote:
> > I agree with your statement that the current local resolving has [its]
> > shortcomings, but would like to see another part of it fixed too: the
> > dynamic updating of /proc/sys/kernel/domainname and
> > /proc/sys/kernel/hostname. I have a commercial application which does
> > not work when those are not configured and corresponding to /etc/hosts
> > and /etc/resolv.conf.
>

> Can you provide more details about your problem?  What problem do you have
> dynamically updating the system hostname and NIS domain name?
>
> --
> Thomas Hood

Hi Thomas,

	maybe I didn't search good enough, but working as a system
administrator I installed an application called VitalQIP which didn't
work with the dns domainname only configured in the /etc/resolv.conf.
The dnsdomainname command gave a correct answer, on a box so configured,
but the application didn't work. Only when we put the domainname in
/etc/sysctl.conf it functioned correctly.

	My point is that this is probably not the only application
with this problem and that none of the host- and domainname configuration
tools seem to take care of this part of their task. So when I saw you
mentioning plans to get some work done on the local hostname resolving
(on shortcomings you mentioned I totally agree with) I took that as an
opportunity to turn the attention too on above mentioned problems that
are also part of local resolving.

	Hope you get something done.

Sincerly,

Jan.